Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The trench is here to stay

I’m not sure if Mr. Stuart meant the current trench will stay, or if a new one will be built and remain permanently in the facility, but either way he said we’ll have a full-time trench. That’s pretty cool.
In last night’s class (March 5) we got to play in the trench again and reviewed the straight punch defense, just one of the defensive trench moves we learned during the seminar. I like the trench more and more and I think if I had to get into a fight today I would want it to be in a confined space. There are a couple of reasons for this: The trench narrows down the potential attacks you’ll face because the space eliminates lots of punches, kicks and elbows. It simplifies the encounter and your response to the attack. The trench requires a heightened degree of violence and ferocity and not so much technical and fine motor skills. Where boxing requires a great degree of accuracy and maneuvering, trench fighting is about making your opponent eat the wall. Fighting in the trench also reinforces one of the main points of Haganah, and that’s always move forward. Mr. Stuart says it over and over again, “When someone comes at you, the worst thing you can do is nothing. The second worst thing you can do is move backwards.” The trench boils this point down to its essence. There's no place to run and the only way to end the engagement is to incapacitate your attacker and move past him.
As much as I enjoyed the trench fighting seminar, it did tax my body a bit more than I'm accustomed to. It was held on Sunday which is usually a recovery day with no physical activity. It took me a while to warm up for last night's combat fitness class. Once I got going I was fine, but at first I felt like a rusty old engine. My knees have taken a beating and I'm seeing some swelling in the left one. It's 9:23 a.m. on Tuesday and right now I'm thinking of skipping tonight's boxing class. I consider this a tactical cop-out to give myself some time to elevate and ice. I would be seriously pissed if I injured myself and ended up missing weeks of training. Decision made, tonight I ice and elevate, but just to stay sharp, I'll watch a DVD on combat wrestling.  

No comments:

Post a Comment