Monday, March 26, 2012

Home on the range with Israeli Combat Shooting

There was blood on the gun. It was my own blood. A circular patch on the second knuckle of my right  thumb was raw, worn by the deathgrip I had been clutching the pistol in for the better part of an hour. It was well over 100, the amount of times I had racked the Glock by that point, and now my skin and a smear of red were spread on the top of the grip of the gun. I put black tape over the raw patch on my thumb, just like I had done to my index finger on my left hand earlier, stood in ready position, loaded another magazine and waited for the command to fire.
I was having fun and I was learning, too. Even though I've owned handguns for more than 15 years, I never had any professional training on their proper usage. Now I was getting it. It all felt pretty natural and, like just about anything taught from the Israeli perspective, made tons of practical sense. While I've always been comfortable around guns, I feel even more so after the Israeli Combat Shooting (ICS) class. And after shooting without really using the gun's sights,  I don't think I'll ever waste the time to stand in front of a target and line up the sights. That seems almost silly now.

I own a .40 Ruger and I welcomed the lower caliber and lower weight of Mr. Stuart's Glock 19, a 9mm, that I was using. This was only the second time I had fired a Glock and I couldn't seem to catch on to the trigger reset. This came into play when I had to fire three rounds in rapid succession. Here's how it worked. Two targets were set up, one on top of the other. The bottom target was the body, the top target was the head. On the command of fire, I had to assume the firing position, rack the pistol and fire two shots to the body and then one shot to the head. The two shots to the body should have almost been simultaneous with a slight pause between the second and third shot as I acquired the new target. Sometimes I was getting the two body shots off pretty fast, but several times I was too slow. This had to do with me not fully understanding the trigger reset on the Glock. I was letting my trigger finger move too far before squeezing off the second round.  I shouldn't have been letting the trigger come out as far as I was so I was losing valuable time measured in hundreds or thousandths of a second.

After ICS, I have more confidence with a pistol,  more skill with a pistol and had a boat load of fun  being trained. Considering how much I love being trained, I would make a great dog. Ruff, Ruff. More training, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment