Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Fitness training as a full-time job

Sitting at my desk for eight hours a day makes me wish I could make physical training my full-time job. I don't want to become a trainer and train others, and I'm too old and lack the skill to become a professional, or amateur, athlete, I just want to get paid for my own training. Oh, and I want to have health coverage, too. 
It's not that crazy of an idea. When I used to workout in "normal" gyms with their rows of stationary bikes, treadmills and nautilus machines, I always looked at the wasted energy. What I mean is that there were a dozen people expending their caloric energy for their own health beneftit when at the same time  they could have been creating electricity. Creating electricity is a fairly simple process: according to Wikipedia,  "electricity is generated by the movement of a loop of wire, or disc of copper between the poles of a magnet."

Imagine this: we give up fossil fuels and rely on people power. Huge hangers filled with stationary bikes, treadmills and other types of equipment that could be used to create electricity  become the new power plants. In a heartbeat I would apply to become a energy producer. What a great job that would be. Ride a stationary bike for hours and read a book, listen to music, or watch TV and get a workout while I create clean engergy.

Essentially what I want is to kill two birds with one stone. There are days that I don't feel like going to the gym after a busy day of work. On those days I want my job to be my workout. This isn't hard to accomplish. There are plenty of jobs that provide incredible workouts. Several weekends during the year I'll do weekend work with friends who are landscapers, concrete masons and hardscapers. Those are jobs where you get paid and get fit at the same time. Run a jackhammer for two hours breaking up an old concrete sidewalk and then toss the broken pieces into a dumptruck. It willl crush you. Or, do the digging required for a dry-stack stone wall. That's a core workout from hell. Dig, dig, dig and fill up a wheelbarrow and then push the wheelbarrow thirty yards and dump it. Then move the stones for the wall. You could also work with a guy setting a brick patio. This will require an enormous amount of digging, pushing wheelbarrows filled with screenings and crushed stone and carrying 10 bricks at a time.

Maybe I'm on to something here. I'll bet there are fitness nuts out there looking for a way to change up their workout who would do some of these jobs for free. Their payment would come in the form of sweat, lactic acid and shredded muscles. If you want try some working class fitness, I can set you up with my buddy who pours concrete sidewalks. Come to think of it, I should I take a day off from working at the paper and go work with him. It only takes a day of hard labor to make me thankful that I can sit at a desk all day and get paid for it.

7 comments:

  1. So true, it is absolutely a full time job and I think a lot of us underestimate the amount of will power that goes into it. I really appreciate this post and can relate to it a lot, will definitely be reblogging it for my followers. I have kind of hit a wall mentally with my Power Press push up barsystem, its a great full body to the core workout but I'm just totally drained things like this have really helped so thanks for this. And check out Power Press if your interested in seeing what has literally worked me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, richpee. All routines can get a little stale. Change is good. If your workout on the power press is done solo that can make it harder to get motivated. Do you do it as part of a class, or by yourself?

      Delete
  2. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out the new stuff you post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy to see the update here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very rare post indeed, loved the concept which will definitely leaves the great impact on the readers mind.
    Those who want to make gym training their profession can easily find by just clicking Job Vacancies in South Africa offering some handsome salary.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles.


    I will bookmark your blog and have my children check up here often.
    I am quite sure they will learn lots of new stuff here than anybody else


    Thanks

    aggregate testingequipment

    ReplyDelete