Monday, April 2, 2012

Burpees replace the bun

Code what?

Well, just when it seemed that Saturday morning combat fitness had become really tough with the addition of Code X (exercise in between each station on the circuit instead of rest), it just became tougher. Lots tougher. How tough? Take the dreaded burpee, an exercise I loathe but have come to embrace for its effectiveness, and make that the exercise in between each station of the circuit. That’s what the March 31 class entailed.  Bad enough on their own, burpees between stations is almost cruel. If I wasn’t such a glutton for punishment I’d rethink my Saturday morning routine of working out at 8:30 a.m. But, as it is, I’m sick in the head and enjoy physical abuse at an hour when most people are only beginning to get out of bed.
Code B, or Code V (that’s V for vomit), whatever you want to call it, reminds me of Kentucky Fried Chicken’s double down sandwich, the one that replaced the bun with pieces of chicken. The double down was an attempt to squeeze more food into the same amount of space that a normal sandwich occupied. Between-station burpees does the same thing, it almost doubles the amount of work you do during the circuit. Code V does away with the bun and puts in its place a sandwich that’s nothing but exercise.

It’s a sick world we live in when burpees are considered recovery between stations. Mr. Stuart has upped the ante and I fear to see what else he has up his sleeve for Saturday mornings. I think, though, at some point the laws of physics get involved here: there is a finite amount of exercise that can be squeezed into a circuit.
Haganah class

The fun didn’t stop when combat fitness ended. Saturday’s Haganah class was a bit of an ass kicker, too. Although we always keep partner preservation on the top of our list, that means don’t hurt your partner, I was delighted to see my partner grimace during our Haganah punching drill. The punching drill involves your partner holding a pad up to their chest while you throw a three-punch combo of straight punches. Mine were landing with some weight behind them and every time my partnered showed his displeasure I tried to hit harder. Sorry to take joy in another’s discomfort, but it is motivating to see that your punches are effective.

I Received some great tips from the instructors on various aspects of my technique during Saturday’s (March 31) haganah class. I have completed three full months of Haganah, that’s three classes a week, and while I have learned copious amounts of information on inflicting pain, all it takes is the discerning eye of an instructor to show me how much more I have to learn. Thanks go to all who correct me consistently.


No comments:

Post a Comment