Monday, February 13, 2012

Is there a battleship anchor strapped to my back?

Saturday’s combat fitness (Feb. 12) was the first class I made it to after being sick. It had been six days since the last time I worked out but it felt like it had been a month. Actually, going through that class I felt like I had a battleship anchor strapped to my back. Even the warm-up was hard. And it wasn’t even a tough class like most Saturday classes have become. I muddled my way through it and now I’m looking forward to getting back to being in the gym five days a week.  It’s been three weeks since I’ve been able to make it five days a week. Having three pretty easy weeks isn’t ideal, but it wasn’t horrible either. It allowed me time to rest and take care of some low-grade injuries. And prior to having three easy, inconsistent weeks where I was only getting to the gym two or three times a week, I had been making it five days a week. However, after a month of five days a week, I was feeling the strain. I was experiencing classic overtraining symptoms: tired, rundown, depressed. So I’m hoping that I can come back stronger now.
My first workout after being sick was
tough. I felt like I had a battleship
anchor strapped to my back.

One thing that might assist me in successfully training five days week is whey protein. I just started adding it to my post-workout shakes in an effort to speed muscle recovery. Because of a reluctance to eat most store-bought meat, I don’t get enough protein. Whey protein is supposed to be one of the best proteins for you and since it’s a powder, it’s very easy to consume. I’ve started bringing my post-workout shakes to the gym so I can drink it immediately following the workout.
100 Classes
I broke the 100 class mark last week. Hooray! I think? Mr. Stuart congratulated me for making it to the FIGHT center 100 times in a year and all I could think was that 100 doesn’t seem like much. One hundred times in 12 months is only 8.333333333 times per month. Actually, 8.3 times per month sucks. That means I averaged two visits per week. That needs to get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment