Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I can't dance even if I want to

I’ve learned many things about myself in the two months since I started learning how to fight: Although I’m still getting used to it, and it is quite startling when it happens, I don’t mind getting punched in the face (I do mind getting punched in the ear); I really enjoy kicking people; I love, love, love physical fitness; I suffer severely from white man’s disease – I can’t dance.
I've said it before and I'm saying it again, had I realized at a young age the important role dance would take later in life, I would have quit being embarrassed and just learned how to do it (this website says it all).  Besides the fact that learning how to dance would have opened up more opportunities with women, knowing how to dance would make it easier to learn how to fight.  In dance, as in fighting, it’s crucial that you be able to move more than one body part at a time.  Unfortunately, I fight like I dance. That’s to say I can only do one thing at a time. If I’m dancing, I can either move my arms or legs. Can’t move them both at the same time without looking liking I’m having a seizure. If I’m fighting, I can only focus on my footwork while totally ignoring my upper body motion. This is not a good way to go about engaging in fisticuffs. Head motion, hand motion, foot motion, torso motion all need to linked in an intelligent, productive fashion.
A message to dads with young boys: Make them learn how to dance. They will hate you for it for many, many years but you just have to deal with it, knowing that one day it will pay off for them. Explain to them that not only will dance enable them to score with the ladies, it will also enable them to be better fighters.  

No comments:

Post a Comment