Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Getting academic with street attacks

Being the center of attention during a FIGHT class stress drill is not a place I want to be. Talk about being put on the spot ... Being confronted with multiple unknown attack scenarios in rapid fire succession is a pretty tough test to go through. The stress drill forces the person in the center of the circle to recall and execute almost everything they have learned in FIGHT class - while everyone is watching.

Watching Amy go through the stress drill on Monday night (4/30) made me realize that I have a lot of learning to do. I'm making progress on the physical side of learning the various street attacks, but now I need to apply an academic approach to solidfying the knowledge in my brain. It's time to go back to college and create notes and bulleted lists of every move involved in each street scenario. I want to be able to pick up a flash card that says Straight Punch and be able to rattle off the proper response: Step to 11 o'clock, left hand blocks face, right hand punches to body, left hand pins elbow to body and right hand grips shirt and elbow forces head away, three knees, break the ankle.

No comments:

Post a Comment