Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Almost six months of boxing and it ain't getting no easier

June will mark six months since I started learning how to fight. And while I've learned a lot in that time, I'm constantly aware of how much more there is to learn. It's not like when I started that I thought I'd become a fighter after two months of training, but I didn't figure on it being this difficult, either. But the other day it occurred to me just how much of a challenge it is to learn a combat sport, much more of challenge than learning golf or tennis. I'm not saying golf or tennis are easy to learn, but the non-contact nature of those sports does make them easier to learn than fighting.

Maybe I'm just looking for reassurance or excuses to make me feel better, but learning how to punch and block is tough. Let's use the seemingly simple task of blocking or avoiding an opponent's punch and then counter attacking from defense. On paper this is a very simple process: opponent throws a left jab, I power block with my right hand counter with a straight right, a left hook to the body and then a right hook to the head. Simple, right? Not at all. Within these moves are numerous variables and skills within skills.

Let's break it down. My opponent throws a left jab at my head. Right from the start I'm faced with numerous decisions to make on how to avoid this punch. I can slip, power block, sit, shoulder roll, weave or lean back. Anyone of those six options can take weeks to properly learn and whichever method I select will color how I counter attack. So let's say I power block the jab, this is probably the easiest method for me, and counter with a straight right. If I properly do the power block (fist on forehead, wrist rolled out, elbow tucked to body) I can immediately throw the counter with my right. Now a whole different set of skills comes into play when I punch: Did I step in properly? Did I align my shoulder with the target? Did I get enough rotational torque into the punch by using my legs to push backwards and forward? Did I cover my face with my left hand? Did I move my head offline by shifting to the left?

Let's assume I've done everything correct. I blocked the punch and landed my counter punch. Now I want to throw my second punch (always counter with three punches). Since I threw a straight right and properly moved offline I'm in position to close distance and move close to my opponent so I can land body punches. Now I have to employ a skill different from blocking and punching, I have to step in and to the side of my opponent and let loose a left hook to the body. Throwing a left hook is way different than throwing a straight right, so this punch requires a whole different knowledge base and muscle memory. And if I land my left hook to the body I still need to throw one more punch. This could be another left hook to the body or head, that would keep it simple, or it could a jab or another straight right if I decide to pivot out. And if I decide to pivot out I'm using another entirely separate knowledge base and muscle memory to accomplish it.

Performing this action of blocking a punch and counter attacking is difficult enough with a compliant partner. When your opponent is not being compliant and is actually being the exact opposite of compliant and trying to punch you in the face, performing these actions grows in difficulty ten fold.

The point is: don't get discouraged. It can take people years to perfect their golf swing and that's without having to avoid punches flying at their face. Learning how to fight is a long, hard road that requires physical stamina, learning proper form, learning tactics, making split-second decisions, employing and controlling aggression and breathing and doing it all properly while another person is trying to hurt you.

1 comment:

  1. Did I align my shoulder with the target? Did I get enough rotational torque into the punch by using my legs to push backwards and forward? Did I cover my face with my left hand? Did I move my head offline by shifting to the left?
    UFC streaming

    ReplyDelete