Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Self destruction is reconstruction

Rare is the time when some part of my body doesn't hurt. My hips are sore just about every day and for the last week there's been a small spot on my left elbow that reacts dramatically from the slightest touch. The top of my right foot hurts, a sharp, sporadic pain right at the base of my toes. And my left quad has a knot, or a tear, or whatever goes wrong with a muscle being called on to do sprints at 8:40 on a Saturday morning.

Not working out, just giving up isn't an option. And really, it's only during class that the pains go away. When my body is moving, jumping, running, punching it doesn't hurt. It's sitting at my desk at work when my hips scream out to be stretched, or my elbow bangs into an open drawer.

So it becomes routine to use the foam roller after class, apply ice packs, wraps, drink ginger tea and for the most part just become accustomed to to constant, mild discomfort.

The exercise is the cause and the cure. I'm sore because I exercise and I feel better because I exercise.

There is a certain element of self-destruction to taking classes five days a week. But this self-destruction is more in line with reconstruction. In order to renovate an old house you must first strip it to the bones and go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment